From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:28:55 -0400
It was nice to hear Brad Spark's enthusiastic report from Shawnee yesterday.  I had a few hours this morning to look around Scioto Trail State Forest, and I was kind of shocked by the relatively low numbers of birds and the poor condition of the trees. The treetop dwellers were really scarce for the date, but the seeing how few leaves were in what should have been a canopy it was no wonder.  Birds of the understory were behind in numbers for the date too, but not as alarmingly.  I covered most, but not all the roads, and here are the numbers I ended up with :

2 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds
2 White-eyed Vireos
1 Blue-headed Vireo
6 Yellow-throated Vireos
11 Red-eyed Vireos
11 Wood Thrushes
2 Brown Thrashers
1 Gray Catbird
9 Blue-winged Warblers
2 Nashville Warblers
2 Northern Parulas
2 Yellow Warblers
~25 Yellow-rumped Warblers
7 Black-throated Green Warblers
9 Yellow-throated Warblers
1 Pine Warbler
1 Prairie Warbler
4 Cerulean Warblers (YIKES!!!!)
6 Black-and-white Warblers
9 American Redstarts
6 Worm-eating Warblers
34 Ovenbirds
3 Louisiana Waterthrushes
5 Kentucky Warblers
1 Common Yellowthroat
17 Hooded Warblers
1 Summer Tanager
12 Scarlet Tanagers
1 Rose-breasted Grosbeak
1 Indigo Bunting
5 Baltimore Orioles

For comparison here is a count from Scioto Trail on April 30, 2003. I probably covered a little bit more that day, but it couldn't have been that much more :

1 Eastern Wood-Peewee
1 Acadian Flycatcher
1 Least Flycatcher
4 Great Crested Flycatchers