From:
Michael Packer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Packer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2007 20:42:22 -0700
I was at Green Lawn in the late afternoon Tuesday.  No roaming dogs spotted fortunately.

And fortunately some activity was at the bridge:
Rabbit 1
Hermit Thrush 2
Brown Thrasher 1
And a textbook perfect Male & female yellow-bellied sapsuckers in 6pm sunlight.

Usual suspects were otherwise seen with ~100  juncos noted on my walk from the office to the bridge.

Michael Packer
Grandview Heights

"TUCKER, Casey" <[log in to unmask]> wrote: I don't know if anyone else has responded to this yet or not, but here is a web-site where you can find phone numbers for Greenlawn's office:

http://green.ldmi.net/about/overview/contactus.php

Here is the main web-site as well:

http://www.greenlawncolumbus.org/

I scanned the web-site briefly to see if there were any restrictions, but didn't see any specific statement restricting pets or requirements on pet-owners to keep pets on leashes.

I will say that Greenlawn's staff are very responsive to concerns of patrons.  Several months ago there were a couple of people who decided to take some rather risque' photos at a mausoleum near the pit.  I stopped by the head office just to ask if they issue some sort of special permit for that kind of photography (e.g. the kinds of permits necessary to shoot a movie or advertisement on a city street or some other public location).  The office immediately sent someone out to round the folks involved up and ask them to leave.  Greenlawn's staff have also been working to deal with illegal activities that have been occurring under the bridge in the evenings (and occasionally spilling over into the daytime) in an attempt to make Greenlawn a safer, more family-friendly place.

Birder's visiting Greenlawn can help be the eyes-&-ears of the staff there and just keep an eye out for questionable activities.  It never hurts to inquire about whether something is permitted or not (like free-running pets).  Ultimately, helping to monitor questionable activities and inappropriate behaviors benefits the cemetery and potentially the birds because the cemetery staff will have to spend less money on fixing property damage or destruction, which can then be re-attributed to habitat and grounds management.

Regardless of where you live in the state, if you like visiting Greenlawn Cemetery I would also encourage you to support Columbus Audubon who has a Greenlawn fund that helps support the bird-feeding stations and other activities that maintain habitat for birds and other wildlife in the cemetery.  Additionally, they've recently sent out a nice publication on some recommended guidelines and rules for birding in a cemetery.  If you're interested in obtaining a copy you may want to consider contacting Columbus Audubon (www.columbusaudubon.org/)

Hope this helps,

Casey
Columbus, OH