Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:19:20 EDT
Chris, et al.,

I'm replying to the entire Listserv regarding Chris's question about the
timing of migration in the Lake Erie Marsh Region i.e.- (Magee, Ottawa, Metzger
areas).  The Black Swamp Bird Observatory (BSBO) has been fielding  several
calls per day from folks looking for this information, so I  thought I'd reply
this way, just in case there are others who are wondering  too.

Chris was asking about the birding in these areas around April 24th.   While
this is bit early for the big diversity that will arrive between the first
and second week of May, the area is currently playing host to numbers of Brown
Creepers, Golden-crowned Kinglets (a few Ruby-crowned Kinglets too) and Fox
Sparrows; smaller numbers of Eastern Towhees, Brown Thrashers, Yellow-rumped
Warblers, and Winter Wrens; Rusty Blackbirds are still numerous; and shorebirds
 (Dunlin, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs), are beginning to come through in
small numbers. If you stay till just past dusk you stand a very good  chance of
encountering the courtship dance of the American Woodcock as  well.  Last
Friday night, as part of the Lake Erie Wing Watch Weekend, BSBO  hosted an
American Woodcock program that included a walk afterwards and 40+  participants were
treated to a performance that left us all smiling from ear to  ear. I'm sure
that many (including yours truly) declared the "timberdoodle"  their favorite
bird after witnessing the show!

For more information on the American Woodcock  - _Click  here: All About
Birds_
(http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/American_Woodcock_dtl.html#fig1)

If you're into waterfowl, the area is still holding good numbers of ducks,
looking quite snappy in full breeding plumage. And if it's birds of prey  you
seek, you should have no trouble seeing Bald Eagles while you're in the  area.
There are several active nests in the marsh region, including one that  will
be visible from Ottawa's spectacular new visitor's center.  (Grand  opening is
scheduled for International Migratory Bird Day, May 12th.)  The  Black Swamp
Bird Observatory conducts a Hawk Watch from the tower east of the  Sportsman's
Migratory Bird Center at Magee Marsh and the tower is staffed seven  days a
week from 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM.  If you're in the area, be sure to stop  in and
check the tally board (located at the base of the tower) to see what  hawks have
been moving through as well.

BSBO has been conducting passerine (songbird) migration studies in the Lake
Erie Marsh Region for the past 15 years, and the main banding site is just a
few  miles east of these well known birding areas, in similar habitat.  The
daily sightings from this station (as well as banding totals) are available on
the Observatory's website at: _www.bsbobird.org_ (http://www.bsbobird.org)
and this offers birders  detailed information on the timing of migration.  This
can be  extremely helpful when you're trying to plan your "sick day" from work
 around the time when Connecticut Warblers will be arriving at the boardwalk
at Magee!

Good birding (as if there's any other kind...)
Kim Kaufman
Education Director
Black Swamp Bird Observatory

 (http://www.bsbobird.org)