Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2007 06:29:25 EDT
I have delayed reporting the status of the Eastern Bluebirds nesting in my
yard until I determined their success.  This is the first time in 15 years of
bluebirding that I have had March eggs, and with the freakish weather, I wasn't
sure they would hatch or indeed survive the critical first few days of life.

The adults have stayed around all winter, helped by my supplemental feeding
of mealworms and Julie Z.'s "suet dough" recipe (contact me off-list if
interested).  Nest building began in earnest on March 14th, although they were
observed inspecting the box in mid January.  Pair behavior was observed March 18
(perching together, wing-waving, territorial singing) and copulation on March 26.
 The first egg was laid March 27 and the fifth egg on March 31.  Despite cold
weather, hatching was on April 13 as predicted.  (Average incubation periods
are between 12 and 14 days; with one exception, my birds go 13 days on clutch
one and 12 days for clutch two.)

I was very concerned over the weekend of April 14-15, since the cold, wet,
windy weather would make it very difficult for the adults to find the small,
soft prey their young would need to survive, and I wasn't sure they would feed
the suet dough or medium-sized mealworms to the nestlings.  I believe that by
continuing to provide supplemental food to the adults, they were able to save
any natural prey items they found for their young.  Also, the female was not
forced to stray too far afield for food, and was able to brood her clutch
sufficiently.

Regardless, the little family is doing well. The 5 nestlings are strong and
thriving, and with the return of more normal weather, I feel the entire clutch
will pull through.  The joy of backyard bluebirds is worth the anxiety of
early nests and late winter, although I wouldn't want to do this again next year!

Kathi Hutton
Felicity, Clermont Co.
Delorme pg 82, B3
Lat. 38.828, Lon. -84.063

A man's interest in a single bluebird is worth more than a complete but dry
list of the fauna and flora of a town.
       ~Henry David Thoreau, 1858