From:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Helen Ostermiller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2007 19:51:50 -0400
Hello,

I wanted to report four great egrets in a single section of the Killbuck WA
swamp yesterday (south of the closed Force Road, beyond the gate), in
response to Vic Fazio's request.  ( I, too, had seen 2 last week, reported
previously by Jen Brunfield).  I was there to monitor the eagle nest (2
young had their heads above the nest while the parent appeared to be
feeding a third).  I didn't have time to survey the area thoroughly.

Tree swallows were few, relative to previous twice-a-week visits.  Think I
saw 1 barn swallow and one purple martin.  Killdeer called incessantly, a
yellowlegs flew a short distance over the road, blue and green-winged teal
swam between areas of vegetation; kingfishers called nearly as frequently
as the killdeer.  I usually hear sandhill cranes at least once during my
observation period (45 min.+) and did so yesterday evening, too. A pileated
woodpecker was working on a stub not far from the eagle nest.  Last visit,
one circled near the eagle nest and was "escorted" out of the area by the
eagle minding the nest.  I'm sure there was lots more to be seen; I focused
on the eagles.

Killbuck WA (Wayne Co.) is described on the OOS website.

Helen Ostermiller