From:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Boutis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 15:35:25 -0400
Hello all,

A group of about a dozen people joined me on a 1 1/2 mile walk through the
northern quarter of Glen Helen this morning.  It was a beautiful,
beautiful morning.  Wildflowers were out in force, and we found a good
variety of resident birds, plus a few migrants.

Here's that list:
Turkey vulture
Canada goose
Wood duck
Mallard
Mourning dove
Red-bellied woodpecker
Hairy woodpecker
Northern flicker
Pileated woodpecker
Blue jay
American crow
Carolina chickadee
Tufted titmouse
White--breasted nuthatch
Carolina wren
Blue-gray gnatcatcher
Golden-crowned kinglet
Ruby-crowned kinglet
American robin
European starling
Black-throated green warbler
Yellow-throated warbler
Northern waterthrush
Louisiana waterthrush
Field sparrow
Song sparrow
White-throated sparrow
Northern cardinal
Red winged blackbird
Brown-headed cowbird
American goldfinch

Also had a Northern water snake on the Yellow Springs Creek just below the
dam.

And a pleasant surprise when I returned home: The red-phase screech-owl
that was regular throughout the winter had returned to our backyard after
a two-month hiatus.

-Nick

Nick Boutis, Executive Director

Glen Helen Ecology Institute