Date:
Sat, 21 Apr 2007 22:09:53 EDT
Saturday, April 21, 2007

I again birded the Killbuck Marsh WA (South of Wooster) and surrounding
environs with Leroy and Norman Troyer.

40 species, 4:00 pm - 8:15 pm

We found NO ROSS' GOOSE at Guggisberg, though I ran into a pair of birders
who'd seen it on 4/20.  I was there twice today, struck out both times.

Highlights: CHIMNEY SWIFT, Shorebirds

The run-down:

Pied-billed Grebe

Great Blue Heron
Great Egret (Prairie Lane, Force Road near eagle nest)
Sandhill Crane (heard at least 2-3 in the distance, from Cemetery Rd & 226)
Canada Goose
Mallard
American Wigeon
Wood Duck (dozens throughout KBWA and Prairie Lane)
Northern Shoveler (15-20 at Prairie Lane)
Blue-winged Teal (finally!)
Green-winged Teal (8-10 at Prairie Lane)
Ring-necked Duck (several dozen at Wright Marsh)
Lesser Scaup (a few, scattered in with Ring-necks)
Bufflehead (about a dozen pair, throughout)
Ruddy Duck (15-20 at Prairie Lane, at the gravel pit)
Hodded Merganser (3 female, Prairie Lane)
------------------------------------
Turkey Vulture (everywhere)
Bald Eagle (ok, technically no, but we saw the nest moving)
American Kestrel (one)
------------------------------------
American Coot (many, all locations)
-----------------------------------
Killdeer
Wilson's Snipe (3 @ Prairie Lane, 2-3 at Shreve Fish Pond on 226)
Greater Yellowlegs (2-3)
Lesser Yellowlegs (dozens)
DUNLIN (ok, I was pleasantly surprise) -- in partial breeding plumage, aka
black patch
Pectoral Sandpiper
------------------------------------
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
Red-bellied WP
American Pipit
PURPLE MARTIN
Tree Swallow
Cliff Swallow (Troyer Farm, Fredericksburg)
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Cardinal
Song Sparrow