From:
Patricia Guenther <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patricia Guenther <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2007 18:33:24 -0700
Went back to check on my hawk nest this weekend to see if I could get a better look now that the sun is out and sure enough saw the female sitting low on the nest.  She was looking right at me blinking then turned her head.  From the back you could see her tail sticking out, but if you didn't know a bird was there you would think it was a stick (like I did last weekend).  It was a good thing I got a good look this time because on the way back from my walk I couldn't see her head sticking up anymore and still wouldn't have been sure if it was a hawk or a stick.

  Other birds of note in the park on Chestnut Hill:

  Hermit Thrush
  Pair of Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers
  Winter Wren (id'd once I got home: little fluff of a wren on the ground by a fallen log, kept bobbing up and down.  Very exciting find for me)
  Golden-crowned Kinglets are still in park, but are now more concentrated in the hemlocks instead of spread out all along the area.

  Trish
  Youngstown