From:
Rob Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 05:56:26 -0400
I spent yesterday morning roaming around several areas of Gahanna looking for early migrants with some success.  The 'normal' spots were Gahanna Woods park and the Big Walnut greenbelt-parks, while a special treat was leading a group around the Rocky Fork Country Club (Thanks Jim) through the 'gorge' of Rocky Fork Creek.  An absolutely gorgeous morning produced some decent highlights:

Woodpeckers - drumming PIleateds at both Gahanna WOods & RFCC; 2 sapsuckers along Big Walnut;   Flickers calling at all 3 sites
Flycatchers - still only Phoebes, but they were all over the place, with pairs at all 3 locations
Swallows,Swifts - Barn & Tree swallows along Big Walnut, while Chimney Swifts were cavorting over RFCC
Wrens,Kinglets - No House Wrens yet, but Winter Wrens still at Gahanna Woods & Big Walnut; Ruby-cr.KInglets widepsread & singing
Gnatcatchers - singing and chasing at all 3 sites
Thrushes - WOOD THRUSH singing along Big Walnut; Hermit thrush still lurking at Gahnna Woods
Mimids - singing Brown Thrashers at Gahanna Woods & RFCC.  Mockingbirds at several locations, but no catbirds could be found anywhere.
Warblers - Yellow-rumps common, at all 3 sites, but were joined by singing YELLOW WARBLER (RFCC), Yellow-throated (Big Walnut), and BLACK-THR.GREEN (RFCC)
Sparrows - Chipping singing everywhere, with some apparently recent new arrivals to bolster their numbers.  Field Sparrows singing at Gahanna Woods & Big Walnut.  White-throated still singing along Big Walnut in several locations.

I would anticipate another, perhaps better day today.  I was out doing Amphibian surveys last night and there were many overhead flight calls.  It would appear that our Neotropical nesters are flooding into Ohio at last.

Rob Thorn
EarthLink Revolves Around You.