Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 13:03:30 -0400
Hello!

Last evening, my wife and I birded the Dripping Rock trail and the back half of the pet trail at Highbanks in southern Delaware County.  New arrivals and other birds of note included the following:

Barred Owl
Cooper's Hawk-pair cavorting w/talons outstretched overhead
Yellow-Rumped Warbler-~12
Nashville Warbler
Black-Throated Green Warbler
Ruby-Crowned Kinglet-4
Solitary Blue-Headed Vireo
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher-3
Eastern Kingbird-first heard then looked up to see 5 together in tree top along pet trail
Eastern Phoebe
Swamp Sparrow-2
Barn Swallow-3 at pond
Tree Swallow-6 at pond
Chimney Swift-3 at pond
Pileated Woodpecker
White-Throated Sparrow-saw 8, heard many more

Now for the questionable bird call we heard.  At dark (~9 PM) near the Adena Mound, we clearly heard a distinct call that had the all of the earmarks of a Whip-Poor-Will in tone, cadence, volume, etc. but it wasn't the "standard" call.  I have not heard any alternate calls of a Whip-Poor-Will and didn't find info on the web that was readily available, so I wondered if anyone may have some insight.  The call essentially sounded like "WHIP-to-do" repeated quickly several times with an emphasis on the "WHIP" followed by a split second hesitation and then the "to-do" in more rapid descending emphasis.  Everything else about the call says Whip-Poor-Will to me but I want to be as close to 100% sure as possible in the ID.  Any insight e-mailed to me privately (or through the list serv) would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Directions to Highbanks can be found at www.metroparks.net with park information on the OOS web site.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio