Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:34:08 EDT
Bill Whan recently inquired about possible shorebird habitat at Medusa
Marsh.  The main impoundment seems to be at a high level this year and  offers no
shorebird habitat.  Phragmites now blocks the view of the tiny  northeast
corner (close to the road) that can sometimes harbor a few  birds.

Immediately west of the main impoundment is a low lying cornfield that was
recently flooded (and harbored several species of duck).  It now  appears to be
being pumped down (but still had several small groups of shovelers  in the
puddles).  This is a rather hard spot to view since it  is behind a dike and
full of tall corn  stubble that could hide birds.  If you do stop, please
remember that this is private property.  View only from the side of the  road.  Do
not walk out on the dikes.

A green-collared Trumpeter Swan has been in the area for a while now.   It
was usually in the flooded corn field but yesterday it was in the main
impoundment and I tried to read its collar.  I believe it is  marked "64M"  but if
anyone gets a clearer look and sees a different  number, please correct me.

A pair of Mute Swans are often seen in the water to the east of the main
impoundment this year.  It seems they may be avoiding the main impoundment
(where they were usually present other years).

A few small groups of Gadwall and a lone Ruddy Duck were the only other
waterfowl present yesterday around 5:00 PM.

Sheryl Young