From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 09:46:51 -0400
Ken, and other newcomers to the list:
        Welcome. As you can imagine, we who talk about birding in Ohio tend to
use shorthand for well-known (at least to us!) spots. For newcomers, one
way to find out is to inquire--probably better to ask the poster of the
puzzling reference rather than the whole list--but an even more
effective way is to check the Site Guide on the Ohio Ornithological
Society website: just click "Ohio Birding Sites" on the left-side menu
at  http://www.ohiobirds.org/  . Here are over a hundred of the more
popular and productive birding sites, with a lot of information for
each, just beginning with where the heck they are. All are written by
knowledgeable people, and more write-ups are always welcome. It is a
great short-cut to becoming informed. Check out the Medusa Marsh entry.
One thing unmentioned is that this is an informal name, not on any map,
and comes from the Medusa Cement Company, whose name lingers on huge
silos looming on the north side of the marsh, easily visible on the way
in from the west. I wish it were a reference to Greek myths, but if it
is this connection seems lost...
        When one of us posts information from a new or less well-known site, we
do (or at least should) include information such as the site guide
provides: at least location (often via the state Atlas from De Lorme),
and often other guidance--hours of opening, parking, maps on the Web,
instructions, 24-hour locations for decent coffee, etc.
Hope this helps,
Bill Whan
Columbus