From:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Whan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:37:49 -0400
        Troy Shively just called to report ~400 American golden-plovers, along
with ~200 Bonaparte's gulls and a few Lapland longspurs and American
pipits, at or near a shallow sky-pond on Valley Rd about 3/4 mi south of
US 33; this is in the very lower rightmost corner of p 45 in the De
Lorme atlas.
        A strong cold front is approaching from the west, and these birds, who
sometimes give short shrift to Ohio in their northerly passage in the
spring, are probably displaced by winds. Other interesting birds might
be as well.
        This is a good opportunity to issue my yearly alert to look for Smith's
longspurs in Ohio; the next ten days are prime-time, and open
agricultural fields, especially if infested with foxtail, are a great
place to look for them. Western Ohio should be pretty interesting for
the next few hours, anyway, and perhaps beyond as temps drop sharply.
Bill Whan
Columbus