From:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Aaron Boone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:50:01 -0400
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to take the time to make a quick announcement about an
exciting new atlasing tool that is available at the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas
II website (http://www.ohiobirds.org/obba2/blockmap/latlon2block.php).  This
tool will allow you to determine an Atlas block ID by entering
latitude/longitude coordinates.  If you frequently use a GPS receiver while
in the field or driving around, this web tool will make block determination
of bird observations very quick.

The Coordinates Block Tool will be important for capturing many of those
"incidental" observations.  Recording important breeding bird observations
for the Atlas doesn't necessarily have to occur while on specific atlasing
trips in known Atlas blocks.  For example, I was driving up to Lorain County
on April 18th.  Somewhere on I-71 between Columbus and Mansfield, a Pileated
Woodpecker flew across the highway.  Fortunately, my GPS receiver was
running so I quickly marked the location.  Since April 18th is well within
that species' safe date range, this simple detection could be submitted as
Atlas data.  Until now, determining the Atlas block where this observation
occurred could have been a rather time-consuming process.  Now, it takes
about 20 seconds!

We would like to thank Ned Keller for his work in creating this great new
resource.  Thanks Ned!

If you have questions about the Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II or would like to
know more about how you can participate, please contact us at [log in to unmask]
or call (614) 247-6458.

Good birding everyone!

Aaron Boone

Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas II