From:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 13:38:23 -0700
Four more spring arrivals at Greenlawn:

Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Brown Thrasher
Yellow-rumped Warbler

I'm sure I also heard a Black-throated Green Warbler
but couldn't track it down.

The female Hooded Merganser at the pond has been
joined by a second female.  The Belted Kingfisher was
flying up and down the pond today.

The point I used to sit at to bird on the pond has
been taken over by Canada Geese determined to build a
nest where it will never last (their island is still
under water).  A mud-smudged egg was 12 feet away from
the nest.  Maybe something was raiding the nest just
as I got there.  I replaced the egg and several hours
later the female had covered it with twigs and stuff.

The resident Phoebe has her nest almost completed.

I saw no Fox Sparrows today and few White-throated
Sparrows.

I counted 38 species today from 8-noon.