Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:02:34 EDT
Hello!

From about 7 AM to about 6 PM today (minus some time for vehicle  issues),
Ken Davis and I birded parts of Shawnee State Forest  and along Moore's Lane.
Southwest of SR 125, we birded FR 1, FR 5,  and FR 13 with a stop in the
lodge/cabins area.  Northeast of SR 125, we  birded parts of FR 3, FR 6, FR 4, and
FR 14 followed by a quick trip to Moore's  Lane.  Overall, we had a good day of
birding with the following 21 species  of warblers and other notable birds
observed and/or heard (I stopped  counting birds heard when I reached 25):

Shawnee State Forest:

Cerulean Warbler-saw 5 heard over 25
Louisiana Waterthrush-saw 4 heard 10
Yellow Warbler-only heard 2
Ovenbird-saw 3 heard over 25
Black-Throated Green Warbler-saw 4 heard 8
Yellow-Throated Warbler-saw 4 (1 low pulling fluffy down from a cattail)
heard 7
American Redstart-saw 9 heard over 25
Blackpoll Warbler-heard 1
Pine Warbler-saw 2 heard 1
Hooded Warbler-saw 3 heard over 25
Blue-Winged Warbler-saw 5 heard 12
Black and White Warbler-saw 3 heard 14
Northern Parula-saw 2 heard 3 (most at old CCC camp area)
Worm-Eating Warbler-great views of 2 singing and heard 6 more
Blackburnian Warbler-surprised by great views of one low along FR 1
Yellow-Breasted Chat-heard 4
Kentucky Warbler-saw 2 heard 4
Prairie Warbler-saw 4 heard 3
Nashville Warbler-saw 2
Chestnut-Sided Warbler-great views of 1 low
Common Yellowthroat

Broad-Winged Hawk-saw 2 soaring overhead, heard 1 at FR 1/FR 2
Brown Thrasher-heard 4
Eastern Phoebe-saw 2 heard 1
Red-Eyed Vireo-saw 5 heard over 25
Yellow-Throated Vireo-saw 1 heard 1
White-Eyed Vireo-saw 3 heard 6
Blue-Gray Gnatcatcher-saw 5 heard 15
Scarlet Tanager-saw 6 heard 9
Eastern Towhee-saw 3 heard 21
Indigo Bunting-saw 12
Pileated Woodpecker-heard 2
Ruby-Throated Hummingbird-saw 2
Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker
House Wren
Belted Kingfisher

Along Moore's Lane:

Cooper's Hawk-almost caught a Mourning Dove
Kestrel
Cliff Swallow-saw 3 or 4
Bank Swallow-saw at least 10
Tree Swallow-saw 2
Barn Swallow-saw 3 or 4
Northern Rough-Winged Swallow-saw at least 2
Solitary Sandpiper
Killdeer-saw 3
Eastern Meadowlark-heard 1 in field

The interspersed flock of swallows were feeding over a low wet area (what's
left of them along this road)observed from the 90 degree turn to the right in
the road.  All in all, a great day to miss work!

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio