From:
Jill Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jill Bowers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2007 23:56:24 -0400
Hi All,
We have just returned from a stay at Pike Lake State Park for the Youth
Turkey Hunt weekend which was successful! Both our grandsons (13 & 10) were
able to harvest a Turkey. It was the 13yos 3rd and the 10yo first! Both very
HAPPY young men.
Then it was Grandpa's turn! But he was not as successful as the boys!!

Anyway, here is a list of the birds we saw while in and about the Park and
State Forest. It was a really GREAT week!

Yellowtail Butterflies were everywhere!! (I know, they aren't birds!) But
still wonderful to watch!
White breasted Nuthatch
Northern Parula
Yellow Rumps XXX
Rosebreasted Grosbeak!!
Magnolias XX
Kingfisher who flew up/down the creek noisily announcing his presence!! Or
trying to scare the boys from fishing!
Bluegray Gnatcatchers
Chipping sparrows XX
Ovenbirds XXX
Northern Cardinal
Wood Thrush XXX
Pileated Woodpeckers XX
Eastern Towhee XX
Scarlet Tanager
White Throated Sparrow (singing their Sweet Kimberly, Kimberly)
Redtail hawks
C Chickadees
Northern Flickers
Blue Jays
Grackles
Turkey Vultures
Cowbirds XX
Yellowshafted Flicker
Robins
Barn Swallows
Yellowthroated Vireo
Hooded warblers
A Goldfinches
Yellowbreasted Chats
Yellow warblers
Tree swallows
Meadowlarks
Redwing Blackbirds
Redstart
Mocking bird
Whippoorwill

and SO MANY WILDFLOWERS!!! I was able to get some good photos of them!

This is truly a wonderful place in the Spring time!! The Trillium is
magnificent!!
Dwarf Iris
Twinleaf
Wild Ginger
Bluebells
Wild Geranium
Jack-in-the Pulpit
Dwarf Phlox
I know I am omitting many, don't have my book at hand.

But everyone should visit this area in the spring!! You will forever be glad
you did!

Jill Bowers
Auglaize County