Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 18:48:47 EDT
This morning Linda joined me as I made my first check for activity at Old
Sunbury Road. Much to my pleasure I found multiple Prothonotary Warblers present
 from the East Shore Yacht Club to the second old bridge. Thus far they are
starting to jostle for territories, each rearing their heads and singing their
 lungs out. We got some spectacular views. Other birds of interest observe
along  the old road included:

Double-crested Cormorant    (100+ by Pelican  Island)
Wood Ducks
Osprey    (2)
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Chimney Swifts
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker    (2)
Eastern Phoebe
Warbling Vireo
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Gray Catbird
Northern Mockingbird
Yellow Warbler    (3)
Yellow-rumped Warbler    (50+)
Palm Warbler    (7)
Prothonotary Warbler    (9)
Swamp Sparrow    (3)

From there we went to the Delaware Wildlife Area and observed the following
birds of interest:
Wood Duck
Hooded Merganser
Great Blue Heron    (27 grouped together)
Semi-palmated Plover    (6)
Killdeer
Greater Yellowlegs    (8)
Lesser Yellowlegs    (5)
Solitary Sandpiper    (2)
Spotted Sandpiper    (2)
Pectoral Sandpiper    (13)
Dunlin    (6)
Gray Catbird
Yellow Warbler    (4)
Yellow-rumped Warbler    (20+)
Swamp Sparrow    (2)
Eastern Meadowlark

Our next stop was at the marina at the Delaware State Park where we got
Purple Martins.

Finally we stopped at Gallant Woods Preservation Park where we enjoyed a
walk around the trails. Species observed at the park included:
Ring-necked Pheasant
Great Crested Flycatcher
Hermit Thrush
Wood Thrush
Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler

All in all we were pleased with the day. As noted by others posting, the
migration has been slow to develop but things are starting to get  interesting.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve