Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 12:57:16 EDT
While finishing up some atlassing this morning, I was very surprised to
locate an osprey hunting over a small farm-type pond.  The pond is located  near
Louisville, on Georgetown RD, just west of Swallen Rd on the south  side.
(DeLorme 52B2CW)  The nearest lake large enough to host an  osprey nest is Walborn
Resv., north of Alliance & several miles away.   I wouldn't think an osprey
would waste time hunting small farm ponds that far  away when they have the
whole reservoir available (even though the reservoir  also has an eagle nest not
too far from the osprey nest.)  But I also have  a hard time imagining an
osprey nest in the farm country that surrounds this  area.  But what a coup this
would be for my block!  If anyone sees or  has anymore knowledge about this
bird in this area, please contact me  off-list.

Laura Dornan