Date:
Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:37:21 -0400
Thanks Ken Davis for letting us know about this nice gull. I went to
the Boardwalk first but there was a ton of people around at 4:00pm.
Didn't see much but the ospreys, and a small flock of gulls w/ immature
Bonaparte's and Ring-billeds. I let some passers by see the Osprey on
the nest and they were much pleased. So with that I headed out and as a
last min. thought I Checked out the Oxbow road Island

   I then walked out to the point that faces North at the end of the
point and the end of the island. There not far out was the LAUGHING
GULL. It was well lit and in nice alternate/breeding plumage, black
hood, partial eye rings, dark and reddish bill, it even flapped its
wings so I could see more fully the nice darkness that was there at the
tips. After enjoying it for a few seconds I ran back to the car (i'd
left my camera) and ran back but when I returned he had vanished. I
think he went up to the north end again since that was the only flock
of gulls I could see anywhere at all. Also visible from this spot was
an immature Grebe sp. way out there (now I look at my guide I want to
say possible Red-necked? Prob. just a Horned, who looked weird, a very
dark bird, too far out to say for sure (60x)) and some Northern
Shovelers and D.c. Cormorants. I was late to go seach for the WW Dove,
so I didn't try to refind this stuff up there. Maybe I should have, the
dove was a bust.

    Good birding,

        - Ben Warner