From:
Douglas Sheldon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Douglas Sheldon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:00:42 -0400
Generally we take a nightly trip traveling west on Garfield Road just
North of Oberlin until we reach the Green Road block of Wakeman,  Our
friends on Green Road reported their  first  Ruby Throat Hummingbird
on Sunday  (April 1)  across from Camp Timberline.  They've put up
feeders but haven't seen another since.  They also report that each
morning they are greeted with the sight of a pair of wood ducks
perched in the tree outside their bedroom window. That's about 60
feet above the Vermillion River tributary . A great way to start the
day.

It's a terrific birding area among our  sightings yesterday and Monday:

2 Pileated Woodpeckers ( Bridge on Green Road)
4 Turkeys (Field South of Camp)
13+ Vultures (they roost at the corner of the Camp along Green Road)
3 Bluebirds - Gore Orphanage Road & Ward intersection
1 Meadowlark - Ward Road
1 Phoebe - bridge on Green Road
2 Wood Ducks - The rains have increased a marsh area on Ward Road
east side of road

It's worth the trip. In addition to the birds, you'll see a large
herd of deer. (13) on Green. Ward has a herd of 9 and Gore Orphanage
has periodic sightings  of lesser amounts.