From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Apr 2007 22:03:26 -0400
I took a short loop in the car today west of Columbus. Nothing especially spectacular was seen.

Starting out in my backyard was an enthusiastically singing Ruby-crowned Kingklet that was here yesterday also. The cold weather didn't dampen its spirit. I didn't hear them in Southern Ohio earlier this week when it was 80 degrees. The first stops were here in Columbus checking out all the neigborhood quarry ponds, my neighborhood stretch of the Scioto and below Griggs Reservoir. Tree Swallows were at every stop flying close to the water, probably totalling about 200 birds. Northern Rough-winged Swallows were fewer and found only in the Scioto both here and at Griggs. I would have expected at least a few Barn Swallows in the mix too for this date, but they apparently had consulted the Weather Channel last week and were seen nowhere. A small number of expected ducks, coots, and grebes were at most places too.

The next stop was the Deer Creek Reservoir. I had neglected to bring my winter coat, and the brutal winds in the area kept me close to my car. The fields and wetlands at Deer Creek really warranted a closer scrutiny, so hopefully I can get back there again soon in some nicer weather. Field  Sparrows were numerous in the fields seen from the car, but Am Tree Sparrows are still there in good numbers too. A walk through the area probably would have produced some Savannah and Vesper Sparrows, but I didn't see any from the car. The northern part of the reservoir had few birds. The Osprey nest wasn't occupied and I didn't see them in the area. The typical huge numbers of Turkey Vultures were conspicuous everywhere, and the Black Vultures (6 today) also remain in the area. Waterfowl and gulls (including some alternate plumaged Bonaparte's) were few, but at least 400 Tree Swallows (and only Tree Swallows) were swarming over the southern end of the reservoir. The wetlands off of Egypt
  Pike is where most of the waterfowl was congregated today. A walk on the dike would have been probably very productive if I had a good coat,. From the roads I could at least make out Am Coots, both teal, N Shovelers, L Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, Wood Ducks, Ruddy Ducks, and Pied-billed Grebes.

I then head back home through Madison County hoping for some flooded fields filled with shorebirds, or Vesper Sparrows singing in drier areas. I couldn't find any Vesper Sparrows today anywhere. They were probably around, but they sure weren't singing. Shorebirds over most of the area was limited to Killdeers and scattered small groups of Wilson's Snipes in ditches. American Pipits were seen in several small flocks here and there. I was almost home and barely still in Madison County before I found a good field along Rt. 142 (Deorme P67 A6/7). This was by the railroad tracks just south of the west entrance to Prairie Oaks Metropark and I-70 and north of Rt.40. There was a small flooded area with both teals, ~35 Pectoral Sandpipers, and about 15 each of both Lesser Yellowlegs and Greater Yellowlegs. Surpisingly, most of the yellowlegs weren't in the water, but wandering around near it on the dry field apparently feeding on something.

Bob Royse, Columbus

Robert Royse
www.roysephotos.com