Date:
Fri, 6 Apr 2007 11:02:10 EDT
Last year, a new Bald Eagle nest was built directly behind the Old Dutch
Tavern, on a busy road in Sandusky.  Many people were able to view these  birds
and the nest was featured in many newspapers, including the Cleveland  Plain
Dealer.

These eagles have returned.  To enhance viewing, the owner of the  tavern has
installed a video camera on the roof.  A large TV screen  inside the tavern
allows continuous viewing of the nest.

For a unique viewing experience, stop in, have a burger and a beer,  and
enjoy "show."  If you prefer, the owner also welcomes the public to  just stop by
and view these birds from his parking lot.

The Old Dutch Tavern is located at 2219 E. Perkins, Sandusky, OH  44870.  You
can mapquest the address, if you wish, but directions are  simple.  From Rt
2, head north on Rt 250.  After an ever increasing  number of strip malls, you
will see the Sandusky Mall on your right.    The next major intersection (past
the mall, Red Lobster, and a few other  businesses) is Strub Rd.  Turn right
(northeast) on Strub and continue  until it ends at Perkins Ave.  Turn Right
on Perkins and you will soon see  the Old Dutch on your left.  You can't miss
seeing the nest in the small  woodlot behind the parking lot.

These eagles bode well for the future of eagles in Ohio.  As more and  more
of our state is developed, only those bird able to adapt to human proximity
will thrive and exploit new nesting locations.

There may be another eagle's nest in a woodlot behind the McDonalds at the
Rt 2 / Rt 101 exit (the next exit west of the Rt 250 exit).  Two years ago  I
observed a red-tail nesting there, but I have just heard that yesterday,  an
adult eagle was in the nest.

Sheryl Young
Sandusky