Date:
Sat, 7 Apr 2007 21:59:54 EDT
Hello!

The past two "winter" afternoons/evenings, I bundled up and hiked the
Dripping Rock trail (including the trail spur to the Adena mound) and the back  half
of the pet trail of Highbanks Metro Park where I observed the  following
notable birds:

Louisiana Waterthrush-shocked to hear my first of the year unbelievably
singing in the cold this evening in a ravine along Dripping Rock southwest of  the
last parking lot in the Oak Coves area. I followed his singing to try to see
him but he flew off chipping his alarm note before I could put an eye on  him.

Great-Horned Owl-this evening, saw 1 up the ravine from the sycamore where
the suspected nest is located, later heard a pair calling behind the Adena
mound.  Still hoping to see owlets in this tree soon as the last 2  years owlets
were seen during the first week of April.

Swamp Sparrow-saw 5 yesterday along the pet trail (4 of them in the  back
loop)

Fox Sparrow-saw ~10 both days along the pet trail.  During every visit  over
the past few weeks, I have consistently observed double digit  numbers (up to
40+) along the pet trail.

Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker-saw 3 males and 2 females today along both  trails

Hermit Thrush-saw 1 both days along pet and 3 additional today  along
Dripping Rock

Winter Wren-saw 2 today along Dripping Rock

Ruby-Crowned Kinglet-saw 1 today in ravine by owl sycamore tree

Golden-Crowned Kinglet-saw/heard 3 or 4 both days

Brown Creeper-saw 1 today along Dripping Rock

Eastern Phoebe-saw 3 yesterday and 1 today along Dripping Rock

White-Throated Sparrow-saw/heard ~10 yesterday and ~5 today

Eastern Bluebird-saw 2 today along Dripping Rock

Tree Swallow-saw 2 yesterday over back loop of pet trail

Cooper's Hawk-today sitting in a tree by feeders at Nature Center  watching
the birds feeding seemingly uncaring about its presence

Pileated Woodpecker-in tree near the Nature Center

I first heard then saw a Solitary Blue-Headed Vireo singing this past
Tuesday along the spur trail to the Adena mound.  Also, over the past few  weeks, a
Barred Owl has been calling fairly regularly from an area along  the Dripping
Rock trail by the deck overlooking the pet trail.  A week ago  yesterday
(March 30th), Ken and Julie Davis and myself saw a pair of  Barred Owls by the
portion of the pet trail that loops into the woods while  hearing a third owl
calling from aforementioned location along Dripping  Rock. I have yet to hike the
River Trail to see if any Yellow-Throated Warblers  have arrived in the
sycamores along the Olentangy River.

Directions to Highbanks are found at _www.metroparks.net_
(http://www.metroparks.net)  and a park description  is on the OOS web site.

Rob Lowry