From:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Pogacnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 08:42:16 -0400
Sorry for the delay in posting, I got back late last night.  There was a male Eurasian wigeon at Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge Sunday morning.  It was in the impoundment directly west of the parking area.  It was with a mixed flock of dabblers.  An eagle flew over and the waterfowl flushed. Some of the birds returned to the original spot some went to the impoundment to the north, the wigeon went to the impoundment to the northwest. Other birds of note were two Brewer's blackbirds in a field on Reiman Road about a half mile north of Rte 579.   There is a farm with some cattle on Reiman Road.  The blackbirds were a little north of the farm.  There were small groups of blackbirds feeding in fields elsewhere, but I was unable to find anything else of note.

On Rte 579, about a half mile west of Rte 2, there is a large meadow on the south side of the woods.  I saw a short-eared owl feeding over the field early in the morning.  Later in the day there were a pair of harriers engaging in courtship.  This field should be watched.

In general there were still decent numbers of waterfowl around.  I was able to find all of the common species, although pintail and green-winged teal were scarce.  There were a lot of lesser scaup on the lake and ring-necked ducks, bufflehead, and hooded mergansers.  Lots of ice, so birds were concentrated.

John Pogacnik