From:
Tracy Morman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Morman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2007 10:07:56 -0400
Hello all.
The recent cold weather led to an increase in feeder activity over the
weekend. I have 2 female Purple Finches now, the first I have had since
early March, and about 8 Chipping Sparrows that just appeared over the past
week or so. There are two pairs of Downey,and a pair each of Hairy and
Red-Bellied Woodpeckers taking turns at the suet and sunflower seeds.
I also have at least 3 pairs of towhees joining about 15-20 White Throated
Sparrows (looking nice in their breeding colors)on the ground, as well as a
few juncos and the occasional song sparrow. Yesterday,April 8,I glanced out
at the crowd and noticed a small bird picking and hopping double-time
between the sparrows.I couldn't believe I was looking at a very fluffy
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER! I don't think it was actually eating the seed but
was tossing stuff around and picking madly at the ground. After a few
seconds, it flew to a tray feeder just off the ground holding mostly cracked
corn, and picked at it a few times, and then flew back down to the ground.
It stayed under the feeder for a little bit and then made its way towards
the edge of the woods and dissappeared into the leaves...still on the
ground. I'm sure it was just attracted by the activity of the other birds in
the area, and not eating any of the food, but what a sight on a cold day!

Good birding,

Tracy Morman
Scipio Township - Meigs Co.