From:
Kevin Metcalf <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 15:48:18 -0400
As a comparison to reports in other parts of the state, the spring arrival
of neotropicals here has been more subdued, at least in Geauga and Eastern
Cuyahoga Co.

Yesterday morning there was a notable  increase in some of the local
breeders with the overnight arrival of, or increases in, Hooded Warbler,
Wood Thrush, Veery, Scarlet Tanager, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Yellow-throated
Vireo, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Common Yellowthroat and Eastern Kingbird
(although some of these species were seen in small numbers a few days
earlier). Heard my first Indigo Bunting of the season yesterday.

More Red-eyed Vireos seemed to be in today. Great Crested Flycatchers for
some reason seemed better represented a couple of days before the influx of
our other forest breeders, which seemed odd. Still no sign of Eastern Wood
Pewee here as of this morning.

Other than that, a single Cape May warbler in my yard represented the
warbler wave there so far. It is interesting to get the play-by-play from
various locations in the state, as it shows how local the showing of
migrants can be.

Still waiting for the waves of warblers,

Kevin E. Metcalf

Naturalist

North Chagrin Nature Center

Cleveland Metroparks