From:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leidy Gabe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 14:22:21 -0700
Hey all -

Began the morning at Crane Creek, where I spent the
first hour or so poking around the western end of the
parking lot.  This was perhaps the most productive
part of the day, with many birds in full song.  The
boardwalk's western end was also quite productive.  I
had 17 species of warbler total, but there were quite
a few birds around, including a ridiculous number of
redstarts (100+).  Only two of them were
brightly-colored adult males - the rest made up of
first-years and females.  Blackpolls and Swainson's
Thrushes were also quite plentiful.  Other highlights
included an abundance of both cuckoos, with extremely
satisfying looks at each, a late Hermit Thush, 5
Canada Warblers, N Parula, and 3 Hooded Mergansers.

From here I ventured to Metzger, and within three
minutes picked up both of the warblers that I knew I
had missed at Magee - a skulking male Mourning and a
s.m. Prothonotary.  The mudflats are drying up
quickly, but still held 60 Black-bellied Plovers and
34 turnstones - pretty crazy numbers for Ohio.

The last stop was Pipe Creek WA in Sandusky.  While I
did not relocate the ibises, I did encounter an adult
TRICOLORED HERON.  This bird was in the northeast
impoundment.  I flushed it from the corner and it flew
to the exposed island in the middle of the
impoundment, where it stayed until I left.  Hopefully
it will stick around so others get to view it.
Additionally, in this impoundment, there is a tiny bit
of exposed mud - on the aforementioned island and
around the edges of the impoundment.  This bit of mud
held probably 80 shorebirds, the highlight being a
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER.  The dowitcher was at very
close range  along the edge and called several times.
A scope might be helpful for the birds on the island.
Also lingering Ruddy Ducks, Gadwall, Hooded Merg and
chicks, coots, and a female Orchard Oriole
constructing a nest right near the parking lot.

Good birding -
Gabe Leidy
Hinckley

____________________________________________________________________________________Get the Yahoo! toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.