From:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
M & D Dunakin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 May 2007 23:03:23 -0500
Greetings again from the west edge of the Swamp,

What a fine day this Sunday was!!!  One never knows what will show up on the water at the Paulding Reservoir.   A scan of the reservoir in the late morning  revealed nothing but a couple of black blobs on the far end of the water.  Luckily we had remembered to bring our Kowa!  In the past we have had some unusual birds in May, but none more exciting than the Long-tailed Duck we found this morning keeping company with a pair of Common Mergansers and a lone Hooded.  This is the first Long-tailed we have seen in the County since 1991 when it was still called Oldsquaw.    It also marks our latest ever Long-tailed.  Without that scope it might just have remained an undentified blob floating on the water!

On the woodsy side of Flat Rock Creek, warbler-ing was good at the Black Swamp Nature Center in Paulding with 13 species sighted today.  The list includes:

Am. Redstart
Chestnut-sided
Black-throated Blue
Magnolia
Yellow-rumped
Nashville
Palm
Black & White
Blue-winged
Parula
Chat
C. Yellowthroat

Also seen were Red-eyed and White-eye Vireo and a rather late Golden-crowned Kinglet.

A nice day with some great looks at the warblers and a most unexpected find on the water.  It's days like this that keep us coming back for more and more.

Bird long and prosper,
Doug & Micki Dunakin
Antwerp, O.