Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 21:19:23 EDT
Hello!

I just returned from hiking at Highbanks located in southern Delaware  County
where my wife and I heard and saw a Golden-Winged Warbler just off of the
Dripping Rock trail.  We were walking along when I heard a weird metallic  buzzy
song which wasn't your typical Golden-Winged song.  Not sure if it  was a
weird Cerulean, Parula, or Golden-winged singing, I looked up in the tree  tops
from where the song was emanating, and after seeing a Blackburnian Warbler,  I
saw the Golden-Winged flitting about and sitting on a branch.  I then  again
heard the song and saw the Golden-Winged's beak moving confirming him as  the
source.  Not the best of looks but good enough nonetheless. Not  that he'll
hang around close to the same area, but to reach where  he was observed, exit the
back door of the Nature Center, and starting in  the center of the trail on
the boardwalk leading to the big deck, turn left and  follow for about 106
paces (I have longer strides) total, veering right at the  first trail junction as
if you are going towards the trail segment with the  steps.  He was in two
large White Oak trees located about 20 feet off of  the right side (north) of
the trail.

Other birds of note include the return of one of the resident Chats to  the
back loop of the pet trail (heard and saw first last evening and again
tonight) where there also was a singing Yellow Warbler, a singing Baltimore  Oriole,
a pair of Gnatcatchers building a nest out in the open (one would spin a
spider web around it's beak and plaster it onto the nest), a singing Wood Thrush
in the ravine next to the back loop, and a singing Blue-Winged Warbler.  A
Veery was observed along Dripping Rock after you go down the steps, cross over
the bridge, and get to the top of the small hill.  Along Dripping Rock,  there
also is a tree where a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers appear to be nesting,
and a tree where Barred Owls are suspected to be nesting.  It does not  appear
that there are any Great-Horned Owlets this year in the large sycamore  tree in
the ravine where they have nested for the past several years.   The Summer
Tanagers continue to make their presence known.  Yesterday  morning, I observed
one up close low in a tree calling near the water fountain  at the beginning
of the pet trail.  I also saw and/or heard about 5 Least  Flycatchers yesterday
in the wooded loop of the pet trail.

In keeping in tune with observations reported elsewhere around Ohio, there
have been up to 5 Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks feeding daily at the Nature Center
feeders for the past 9 or 10 days.  This evening, there were 2 males and 1
female at the feeders.  Lastly, as we finished our hike and were in the  parking
lot getting in our car, we were treated to a Common Nighthawk calling  and
flying over the Nature Center.  What a beautiful evening to be  outside!
Directions to Highbanks are at _www.metroparks.net_ (http://www.metroparks.net)  and
park information is  included on the OOS web site.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio