Date:
Tue, 8 May 2007 10:59:07 -0400
Hello!

On my way in to work this morning, I stopped at Highbanks in southern Delaware County and birded (~8-9:45 AM) the front part of the pet trail.  Before my hike, I checked the feeders at the Nature Center and again a male Rose-Braested Grosbeak was feeding at a feeder and a White-Crowned Sparrow was heard singing then seen.  Just past the water fountain at the beginning of the pet trail, my attention was initially caught by a Summer Tanager's call (not song) whereupon I looked up to see a pair of Summer Tanagers fairly low in a tree.  Just beyond, I observed "two's" of several species including Catbird, Baltimore Oriole, Swainson's Thrush, and Cardinal.  After taking the left turn beyond the initial stretch of trail, action started to heat up.  Along this muddy stretch through the woods, the trees receive the morning sun.  While observing the various birds that are listed as follows, I heard the distinctive "quick-three-beers" of an Olive-Sided Flycatcher.  About 10 minutes lat
 er, I ran into Bruce Miller who indicated that he heard it too but neither of us were able to see it or hear it again.  We later ran into John Kuenzli who indicated that he observed a Lincoln's Sparrow at the beginning of the pet trail where it enters the wooded stretch just after the water fountain.  Notable birds observed included the following:

Blackburnian Warbler-2 or 3
Ovenbird
Black-Throated Green Warbler-4
Magnolia Warbler-5
Chestnut-Sided Warbler-3
Hooded Warbler-1 female close feeding on the ground, 2 or 3 males (1 singing alternate song)
Tennessee Warbler- saw 1, heard 2
Nashville Warbler-saw 5, heard 2
Yellow-Rumped Warbler-saw 4, heard 4 or 5
Common Yellowthroat-heard 4
Blue-Headed Vireo-3
Indigo Bunting-3 males and 1 female
Least Flycatcher-saw 3, heard 3