Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 15:18:15 -0400
   Started today off with the Wed. Morning Birdwalk at Kenyon College
and Community's Brown Fam. Enviro. Center (BFEC). We went from 8-9
o'clock and we had a good turnout of birders today. Things are getting
a little tougher now that leaves are out but we still saw lots of
stuff, about 14 Warbler species seen and heard. PHILADELPHIA VEREOs
made a return to our bird list this week with good views and good
listens to their shorter and subtly different song. I continued to bird
with a few people after 9 and then fewer still untill 10. Personal
Highlights were good looks at a singing Cerulean Warbler, and good
looks at a male Blackpoll Warbler. Looks like most of the
White-throated Sparrows caught the south wind out of there.

Blackburnian Warbler - 2 very nice as always
Chestnut-sided Warbler - 4 +
Tennessee Warbler - 2
Northern Parula -  4+
Yellow Warbler   - 8+
Magnolia Warbler - 6
Yellow Rumped Warbler - 3
Blackpoll Warbler - 1 male
Common Yellowthroat - 5
Cerulean Warbler       - 2
Hooded Warbler    -  2 really really close looks at one male
Wilson's Warbler   - 1
Canada Warbler   - 1 female
Yellow-breasted Chat - 1 male seen along Lower Gambier Road.
Philadelphia Vireo   - 2 seemed to be a pair.
Warbling Vireo     - 4
White-eyed Vireo- 2
Yellow-throated Vireo - 3
Possible Yellow-billed Cuckoo - I didn't get a good enough look, but
some people said they thought it was one.
Indigo Bunting  - 2 males seen down the road
Rose-breasted Grossbeak - 4
Baltimore Oriole  - 3
Blue-gray Gnatcatchers
Acadian Flycatcher   - just recently arrived
Great-crested Flycatcher - 1 heard
Wood Thrush - heard
E. Bluebirds - saw about 3 pairs, one box I checked had 5 nice blue
eggs.
Wood Duck - flyby
Grt. Blue Heron - flybys
Cooper's Hawk - Flyby

       I then went south and birded a friend's property that has some
nice woods. Tennessees were singing vigorously there, as were a lot of
Rose-breasted Grossbeaks. Also heard SCARLET TANAGERS and many RED-EYED
VIREOs were seen and heard. A few new birds were seen here including a
nice look at a bee-buzzing BLUE-WINGED WARBLER, lovely looks at
BAY-BRESTED WARBLERS (4), Good views of ACADIAN FLYCATCHER, PILEATED
WOODPECKER (and nest hole), we heard distinctly another BLACKPOLL
WARBLER but couldn't find it even tho it seemed right in front of us.
And much of the same birds from the above list.
       Good Birding,
             - Ben Warner