From:
Debbie Woischke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 20:25:30 EDT
I live in Clintonville, a suburb on the north side of  Columbus.  Tonight
while sitting on my deck, I saw a thrush fly into my  tree, move about a few
times, then fly down to my neighbor's open lawn where I  could see it through my
binoculars.  I never got a full front view, mostly  the back, and a little of
the side.  It seemed to be a uniform color over  the back, no rufous color at
all.  I thought it was a soft brown, but the  light may not have been the best.
 I noticed from the side it had a spotted  breast (not real heavy, not real
light), and I also noticed what I thought were  buffy-colored spectacles.  I
was also able to compare its size to that of a  nearby robin, and it was quite a
bit smaller.  When I came inside and  looked up the thrushes in Sibley, I
noticed he describes "buffy spectacles" for  a Swainson's thrush, and it seems to
have an overall uniform color.  So did  I actually have a cool new "yard
bird" in a Swainson's thrush?  Is it in  the realm of possibilities to get this
bird in my urban/suburban yard during  migration and at this time of the
migration?  I would appreciate any  feedback anyone might like to offer.

Also, jealous of all the recent reports of people getting  Rose-breasted
Grosbeaks at their feeders, some in my vicinity, I was not to be  outdone!!!  I
was deck-sitting on Sun. afternoon and happened to look up in  time to see a
beautiful male sitting on my feeder!  Another "yard  bird"!  I watched for a
while, but when I reached for my camera, hoping to  capture "proof", he left.  He
did come back a couple more times later on,  but of the 2 pictures I was able
to get, none show the rosy breast.

 See what's free at _AOL.com_ (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503)
.