From:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Cagan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2007 21:27:13 -0400
Hi Everyone,

This morning I stopped at Shaker Lakes again, still hoping some of the great
news from Magee would be reproduced‹no such luck, though I did have a Canada
Warbler.

At 3:30 PM, I spent about an hour at Erie Street Cemetery in downtown
Cleveland. Not a warbler or vireo in sight, but some nice birds nonetheless.
For those who don¹t know it, this is a small place between east 14th and
East 9th Streets in downtown Cleveland. There are just some scattered trees
and bits of shrubbery around, so what birds there are, are pretty easy to
see. And there¹s something about the place that seems to reassure a lot of
birds; in any event, I get pretty close to a lot of birds I would ordinarily
not expect to see so close up. I had:

White-crowned sparrows‹lots!
White-throated sparrows‹several
Chipping Sparrow‹one(!)
Song Sparrow‹2
Northern Cardinal‹several
Northern Flicker‹as usual, there were several on the ground, among the
flocks of
European Starling
House Sparrow‹quite a few as usual
Olive-sided Flycatcher‹1
Chimney Swift‹6
American Robin‹scattered throughout
Brown-headed Cowbird‹1
But the best birds were these: I had a pair of thrushes that looked like
Gray-Cheeked Thrush to me; I wasn¹t positive about the i.d. until I saw
another pair of thrushes in another area, that turned out to be
Swainson¹s Thrush. That clinched the first i.d.s All these birds were out in
the open and easy to see‹and pretty easy to get close to.

One of the Swainson¹s flew into a bush, where I found a
Brown Thrasher (I later saw another Thrasher in another area) as well as an
Eastern Phoebe.

Best wishes,

Steve Cagan
Cleveland Hts