From:
Andi Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andi Wolfe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 16:05:18 -0400
Just another note of interest.  I went to look for the Bell's Vireo this
afternoon and had the good fortune of encountering other birders, including
Bob Royse.  We certainly heard it many times and caught glimpses of it as it
flew about.  I stayed for about an hour after everyone else left and
actually got a great look at the bird and then I witnessed something pretty
interesting.  After spotting the bird I saw it fly to a low branch on a
honeysuckle bush and then it started calling with a different type of
sound.  Next, I saw what I think were two of them chasing one another
through the shrub, perching, and then doing what sounded like an alarm call
of sorts.  After doing a web search on Bell's vireos to look for information
I'm thinking I might have seen a courtship display.  The call certainly
matches the info on this particular website:

http://www.naturesongs.com/tyrrcert.html

I might be totally mistaken in what I saw, but I sure had a good look at the
bird as it was doing this call (marked as the "duet buzzy song" on the
website).  The URL for that file is:  http://www.naturesongs.com/bevi1.wav

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else spots this kind of activity.

To add to Aaron's note about OSU parking, there are a couple of options.
You can park on the streets in the neighborhood west of North Star and walk
the bike path across the field to the patch of trees, or go to Kinnear Road
and park in the visitor parking at the Aquatic Ecology Lab.  There's a trail
through the wood lot behind AEL that will take you to the area where the
bird has been heard and seen today.

--
Andi Wolfe
www.AndiWolfe.com