From:
Robert Royse <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 18:29:43 -0400
There has been a good assortment and turnover in migrants along the Scioto River in Columbus the past few days. Today I had 16 warbler species along my local stretch south of 5th Ave., all widely reported species. Yesterday Yellow-rumpeds were still the most numerous warbler here, but I didn't even see one today. Tennessee got that honors today with 11 counted in this relatively small area. Red-eyed Vireos and Swainson's Thrushes were especially numerous today too. There are still a few White-throated Sparrows lingering and a Ruby-cr Kinglet is still present here.

Even though they successfully nested here last year, I haven't found either N Parula or Prothonotary Warbler on territory here this year. Yellow-throated Warblers have continued to increase. I counted 9 on territory between 5th Ave. and the bridges for the Grandview exit ramp on I-670 a couple weeks ago, but there are even more now. The influx has gotten all the birds singing more.  I was hoping to do another count including the bike path on the other side of the river today, but the Bell's Vireo a few miles away drew my attention instead. My backyard E. Wood-Pewee finally arrived today, always a welcome sound of the summer here.

On May 8th, the day everyone else was up north, I headed southeast to Athens, Jackson, and Gallia Counties. On the morning drive down Rt. 33 between Lancaster and Athens along the Hocking River I rolled down my window and there was literally a Tennessee Warbler within earshot at all times. When I stopped the car I could usually hear a few more and the more dulcet notes of Blackpolls as well. Away from the river there weren't quite as many Tennessees, but they were still numerous. At the Crown City Wildlife Area all the expected resident birds have arrived in expected numbers, except there was still no sign of Willow Flycatchers or Dickcissels.  I have noticed a real decline in Cerulean Warbler numbers this year. Yeah, they're still easy to find and tick off your year list, but they are absent or greatly reduced in numbers at some of their usual haunts. On the 8th I didn't find any at all in some regular spots like Utah Ridge in Athens County or Cooper's Hollow in Jackson Coun
 ty. On my last visits to Scioto Trail and Zaleski SF's they were absent or in low numbers along some ridges where they usually occur in good numbers. They still seem common in most valleys, but not on the ridges. Hopefully the late tree development is just making many of them arrive later than usual this year, and I hope to check out those spots again.

Bob Royse