From:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ruth Richards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 May 2007 06:38:12 -0700
After a quick stop at Benton-Carrol's flooded field
near Magee Marsh, I arrived at the boardwalk about 1pm
and saw 10 warbler species before I got out of my car.
 With warblers in virtually every tree and many down
low, I birded till 7pm.  I then made a quick stop at
Ottawa NWR, Metzger Marsh and Teachout Road's flooded
field, and the beach at Maumee Bay State Park.  The
next morning I reversed the order and arrived at
Magee's boardwalk about 10am.  There were twice as
many people and half as many birds on Friday.  Only 19
species--1 warbler--were added on Friday.  Caps simply
indicate my first sighting this spring.  Altogether I
saw:

Pied-billed Grebe
Double-crested Cormorant
AMERICAN BITTERN - from boardwalk tower platform
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
CATTLE EGRET - Magee entrance road
Green Heron
GLOSSY IBIS - 4 at Metzger
Mute Swan
Canada Goose - one pair had 16 goslings! Maybe
   babysitting?
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Gadwall
Bald Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
SORA - Magee boardwalk
American Coot
SEMIPALMATED PLOVER
Killdeer - one had 3 downy babies scurrying along
Lesser Yellowlegs
Greater Yellowlegs
RUDDY TURNSTONE
Least Sandpiper
Dunlin
SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHER
American Woodcock - Magee boardwalk
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Caspian Tern
Forester's Tern
Mourning Dove
EASTERN SCREECH OWL - Magee boardwalk
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Eastern Wood Pewee
Least Flycatcher
Great-crested Flycatcher
EASTERN KINGBIRD
Purple Martin
Tree Swallow
Northern Rough-winged Swallow
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH - Magee boardwalk
House Wren
Winter Wren
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Gray Catbird
Brown Thrasher
Northern Mockingbird
Eastern Bluebird
Veery
GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH - Magee boardwalk
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
American Robin - Two nests had blind babies, mouths
  stretched open to receive food
European Starling
Blue-headed Vireo
Warbling Vireo
Philadelphia Vireo
Tennessee Warbler
Nashville Warbler
NORTHERN PARULA
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler - everywhere...most abundant warbler
Cape May Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Palm Warbler
BAY-BREASTED WARBLER
BLACKPOLL WARBLER
Cerulean Warbler
Black and White Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
MOURNING WARBLER
Wilson's Warbler
CANADA WARBLER
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (2M at home feeder all week too
Song Sparrow
LINCOLN SPARROW
White-throated Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Red-winged Blackbird
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Other interesting wildlife:  3 deer, 2 muskrat, 5
rabbits, a snapping turtle with a 14" shell walking
beside Magee boardwalk, and two very young raccoons in
a hole in a tree with their mother.

It was delightful birding weather...a joy to be out
and about!

____________________________________________________________________________________Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.