From:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Glick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 06:52:27 -0700
Good morning!

  On Friday, May 11th, Dennis Kline and his two sons did a "Bicycle Big Day". Dennis has held the record for this kind of big day for many years, but this time they broke the old record by totaling 145 species. They logged 84 miles on their bikes and covered Mohican State Park, Funk and Killbuck Wildlife Areas. They biked from their home. Dennis said everything just seemed to fall in place and that he held up better than he expected on the long day of biking and birding. Best find was 3 Glossy Ibis at Killbuck Marsh W.A.

  The same day, Leroy E. Yoder, Levi Hochstetler and Samuel Weaver did a big day by car. They totaled 160 species and also had the 3 Glossy Ibis, plus a possible White-faced Ibis. This info is second handed so I apologize if I didn't get it correct..

  Saturday, May 12, Ed Schlabach and I set out to look for migrant birds and ended up doing a big day. We had 32 species of warblers, 14 shorebirds and most of the expected species. We missed Mockingbird and E. Screech-Owl, plus Winter Wren and Hermit Thrush at Mohican. Ducks were scarce. Our route included Mohican, Funk, Killbuck Marsh, and southern Holmes, plus a bit of Tuscarawas and Coshocton. Total for the day was 164. Best birds were the Glossy Ibis, Stilt and White-rumped Sandpipers, Golden-winged Warbler and probable nesting Golden-crowned Kinglets (Mohican).

  Bruce

  Bruce Glick
  Millersburg, Ohio