From:
Lynda Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lynda Andrews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 15:03:47 -0400
During a bird hike to Wildcat Hollow yesterday (part of the Hocking Valley
Birding Trail (HVBT) activities) we saw/heard the following:

Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered hawk
Mourning Dove
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood Peewee
Acadian Flycatcher
Eastern Phoebe
White-eyed Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Carolina Chickadee
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
Wood Thrush
American Robin
Gray Catbird
Blue-winged Warbler
Northern Parula
Cerulean Warbler (at one point we got in the middle of three territorial
males belting it out at each other... two were singing typical songs and
one was rather atypical).
American Redstart
Worm-eating Warbler
Ovenbird
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Northern Cardinal
Indigo Bunting
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow

Wildcat Hollow is a backpacking trail on the Athens Ranger District of the
Wayne.  The trailhead is located in Union Township, Section 30, Morgan
County .  Delorme 70 D2.

Also, a side note, during the HVBT Birders Reception at Hocking Hills State
Park Saturday afternoon I was told that there may be a rufous hummingbird
visiting  the feeders at the Park Lodge (seen out the dining room windows).
If someone is in the area you may want to check it out.  Pat Quackenbush,
the naturalist there, said one hung around last year but I don't think he
has confirmed this years reported individual yet.

P.S.  I do want to say how great it is seeing the numerous reports coming
to the list from southeastern Ohio.  I just got a phone call from a lady
from Maine coming to the Wayne because she saw us listed in a book (500
Important Bird Areas) regarding Cerulean Warblers.  She should be out to
Wildcat Hollow tomorrow.  Yesterday we had one singing just off the
trailhead parking lot.  Drive-by birding at its best..ha.

Lynda Andrews
Wildlife Biologist
Wayne National Forest
740/753-0550 voice