Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 14:06:30 EDT

This morning began interestingly as I headed out to monitor  nest boxes. One
of the Bluebird nest boxes at my place didn't look right to me  or the
Bluebirds. Perched atop it was a Red-tailed Hawk that patrols the natural  area along
the property’s border. The Bluebirds were less than pleased with the  hawk.
Hopefully he will go back to perching in the large oak tree at the edge of  the
field.
Today I made my first seasonal check of the Prothonotary  Warbler nest boxes
at Dustin Road and along Little Walnut Creek.  At Dustin Road there were 5
singing male  Prothonotary Warblers. Along the Little Walnut Creek corridor I
located 13  singing male Prothonotary warblers this morning. Then on the way home
I make a  quick detour to Oxbow Road where I located 3 male Prothonotary
Warblers. The  males have begun building false nests in earnest, collecting moss
and other  materials and placing them in the nest boxes. The females should
begin arriving  about next weekend. Local birders who know my methods will start
watching for my  territory markers which I will begin putting up this week now
that the males are  defining their territories.
Birds of interest observed this morning at Dustin Road  included:
Wood Duck    (6)
Green Heron    (1)
Ruby-throated  Hummingbird    (1)
Eastern Wood-Pewee    (2)
Great Crested  Flycatcher    (2)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet    (7)
Nashville Warbler    (5)
Northern Parula    (2)
Yellow Warbler    (2)
Yellow-rumped Warbler    (17)
Black-throated Green  Warbler    (3)
Palm Warbler    (5)
Black-and-white  Warbler    (2)
Prothonotary Warbler    (5)
Baltimore Oriole    (4)
Birds of interest observed this morning along the Little  Walnut Creek
corridor included:
Wood Duck    (4)
Hooded Merganser    (2)
Red-shouldered Hawk    (1)
Barred Owl    (1)
Pileated Woodpecker    (2)
Great Crested  Flycatcher    (4)
Blue-headed Vireo    (5)
Warbling Vireo    (8)
Red-eyed Vireo    (2)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet    (11)
Wood Thrush    (3)
Nashville Warbler    (5)
Yellow Warbler    (1)
Yellow-rumped Warbler    (22)
Black-throated Green  Warbler    (6)
Yellow-throated  Warbler    (1)
Palm Warbler    (4)
Black-and-white  Warbler    (2)
Prothonotary Warbler    (13)
Baltimore Oriole    (5)
Birds of interest observed this morning at Oxbow Road  included:
Wood Duck    (2)
Great Crested  Flycatcher    (2)
Blue-headed Vireo    (1)
Warbling Vireo    (3)