From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 May 2007 22:04:17 -0400
In the area of Magee Marsh and Ottawa Natl Wildlife Refuge, n.w. Ohio, on
Sunday May 13, the status of migration was about as expected:  numbers
continued to drop gradually from the big influx last Tuesday and Wednesday,
but variety continued to be very good, especially for warblers.  On Sunday
the east-northeast winds kept most of the birds low and inside the woods,
and the crowds of birders on the Magee boardwalk were treated to eye-level
views.  It was great to see so many new birders there, many of them having
their first real warbler encounters, enjoying a situation where they could
see the birds well and get I.D. tips from more experienced birders.  Indeed,
I find the helpful atmosphere among the birders on the boardwalk to be
almost as inspiring as the birds.

During the night Sunday night the wind shifted around to the southeast and
then the south, and Monday May 14 brought a moderate number of new birds.
It was actually more turnover than I had expected, given how late in the
evening the wind shifted here.  There was a fresh influx of thrushes and
White-throated Sparrows, which had mostly cleared out before Sunday, and
numbers of flycatchers picked up, with more Eastern Wood-Pewees and Least
Flycatchers plus Willow and Acadian.  Magnolia Warbler and American Redstart
appeared to be the most numerous warblers on the boardwalk, but numbers of
Canada Warblers definitely increased, and Mourning and Wilson's were around
in numbers.  I had the first Hooded Warbler and Philadelphia Vireo that I'd
seen in a few days.  Kim was at the main banding station of the Black Swamp
Bird Observatory during the morning, about 5 miles east of Magee, and
reported a fair influx of birds there also, with good numbers of
flycatchers, thrushes, Magnolia Warblers, and others.  Four Orange-crowned
Warblers were banded today, a notable number any time and especially this
late, since the Orange-crown tends to be an early migrant.

An interesting feature was an apparent arrival of Ruby-throated
Hummingbirds.  Late in the day (after 6 p.m.) I saw or (mostly) heard more
than a dozen Ruby-throats near the boardwalk and adjacent beach, in areas
where I'd only had one earlier in the day.  These are daytime migrants, and
I assume these came in on today's south winds, stopping when they hit the
barrier of Lake Erie.

Southwest winds are supposed to continue through tonight and tomorrow,
shifting to west tomorrow night with some possible storms.  My best guess is
that there should be a lot of birds arriving overnight tonight, for good
numbers Tuesday morning, and that the shift in the weather may then keep
them around for a couple of days.  The long-range forecast is always
uncertain, but currently they're calling for south winds again Friday night,
so this Saturday could be another good migration day.

Kenn Kaufman
Rocky Ridge, Ohio