From:
Rob Thorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 05:39:39 -0400
I was held in urban Columbus most of the day, but still had some migrants at several points in midday.  The key was to find spots protected from the strong wind and containing flowering Honeylocusts, which are in bloom now and are great magnets for migrants.  Some were on the Columbus State Community College campus where there was a light fallout of migrants.  Another set were in Wolfe Park, on the border of Columbus & Bexley (near the Yellow-crowned Night Heron rookery), where a nearby railroad embankment provided a fair wind-screen.  Highlights included

Common NIghthawk - 1 was flying around in the wind over downtown Columbus, along with quite a few Chimney Swifts

Flycatchers - a few Acadians and 1 Pewee were scattered between both sites

swallows - a nice small swarm of 18 Barn & 4 Rough-winged was foraging over the grassfields of Wolfe Park

Brown Creeper - 1 was foraging at CSCC, on probably one of the my latest dates for an obvious migrant here

Warblers - no real concentrations, but fair diversity with Tennessee, Black-thr.Green, Magnolia, Yellow-throated (2 singing at Wolfe), Blackpoll, and American Redstart

Scarlet Tanager - 1 singing at Wolfe

Baltimore Orioles - singing males at both CSCC and Wolfe

The Night Heron rookery appears to have 2 cared-for nests, although it was difficult to see if any birds were hunkered down in them in the light wind.  The site is not nearly as exposed to high wind as it appears, thanks to the tree-filled yards.  One of the adults was foraging over by the footbridge between Academy Park & Wolfe Park.  It walked around the rocks of a low-head dam, looking for crayfish in the high water of Alum Creek and catching 1 while I was there.

Rob Thorn
EarthLink Revolves Around You.