Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 17:22:42 GMT
May 17, 2007

The past three weeks and change have been rather frustrating for this birder. Business took
me away from home from April 23rd until late Tuesday night 5/15, but actually 5/16. Two
days after my departure the first big migrant push of the season through this latitude
commenced, reported by all of you, my Ohio birding correspondents and friends, and
vicariously enjoyed from my worksite in southern California.

Jet-lagged, I couldn't answer the call for the dawn chorus yesterday, so I planned a little
better to do so this morning. Last night as I lay in bed about midnight, a barred owl began
calling from the hollow behind the house. Jane tapped me and asked if I heard the owl, and
I sleepily replied, "Yes, it's a barred owl," the first we have heard since last autumn. It called
for about five minutes, and I drifted off to sleep.

Arising at 5:30 to the early strains of robin and wood thrush song, I quickly dressed, let the
dogs out to bark at whatever, put them back inside, and ventured up the hill across the
fields. The morning's first warbler was a yellow, singing from the trees along the road, a
typical location. A quick survey of the nest boxes revealed that tree swallows seem to be
doing well, with only two boxes out of seven occupied by interloping house sparrows. As I
descended into our deepest ravine at the SE of our property I was delighted to hear the
exuberant vocal bursts of Acadian flycatchers, always a favorite. I paused for a while at the
upstream end of the ravine, disappointed that I did not hear the expected ovenbird. They
have consistently nested in this area for the past half dozen years, but this morning; nada.

Voices from the canopy informed me of the presence of several scarlet tanagers and at least
one rose-breasted grosbeak. Then at 6:15 a Louisiana waterthrush sang twice, rewarding
my early arrival at the right spot. I am convinced that this species nests annually in this
ravine, with possibly two territories that I regard as the upstream and the downstream. By
this time of the season they only sing infrequently and early.

As I slowly surveyed downstream a yearling doe followed my progress. I assumed a very
non-threatening pace, browsing through the birdsong as she browsed through the
undergrowth, always twenty to a hundred feet behind me. An older doe bounded away at
one point, but the youngster stayed nearby for perhaps twenty minutes. It was rather
charming.

At the small cascade we call Valhalla Falls I paused again to listen. Another Louisiana
waterthrush sang, confirming my notion of the two territories. An Acadian flycatcher
actually twittered down to within 15 feet of the bench where I sat. Cardinals occupy this
part of the woods in some numbers, actually acting like wild birds. It is easy to see how it
became the state bird of eight states.

As I climbed the hill and emerged from the woods along our northern boundary I heard a
turkey repeatedly gobbling from the ridge to the north. Titmice and chickadees sang, called
and scolded, reminding me that these annual residents deserve some attention as well.

My successional field was a bit of a disappointment: no blue-winged warblers could be
heard. No indigo buntings either. Common yellowthroats are once again common, and
delightful: a nice consolation prize. No chats yet, but they often seem to arrive late. A
catbird mewed from the edge. I think I heard a Kentucky warbler singing in the smaller
hollow, or it may have been an ovenbird. Pewees called from distant treetops. I heard no
hooded warblers, usually a feature bird at this place. I will check out that ravine in more
detail tomorrow morning.

As I stood at our hypothetical dream-homesite, I watched the approach of a pair of large
waterfowl; Canada geese I thought, although oddly silent. I watched in wonder as the two
flew less than a hundred feet overhead, and morphed into mute swans as I listened to their
"singing" wingbeats.

I usually don't care too much for mute swans; alien, invasive and disruptive. But alone on
my hilltop with these big white birds stroking the morning air, I experienced a new
appreciation. I think the swans are yardlist species 120. As my yet-to-be-met-face-to-face
Morgan County neighbor, "Joe in the Woods" likes to say, "It helps when your yard is 60
acres." Ours is actually 57.

Bob Evans
Geologist, etc.
Hopewell Township, Muskingum County