Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 20:30:23 -0400
  Sorry for the late-ish post since we saw the bird around noon today it
was hard to get to a posting location. Anyways, the Boardwalk was ok
today but a tiny bit slow. Remembering Kenn Kaufman, and other folks
like Dan Sander's, advice (thank you very much men) I headed to  the
woodlots at Ottawa NWA. The small rectangular lot right infront of the
parking lot (at the older part of ottawa, not near the visitor center)
was the best place, lots and lots of warblers were in there and singing
away on this cool day at around noon. Nice stuff all of it and I'll get
to that later, but when Dr. Dan Mosher and I rounded the southwest
corner of the lot we both heard the unique call of the CONNECTICUT
WARBLER come tumbling from just inside the wooded border. It called
several times at this moment and we were searching searching for the
little rascal. Finally we got so lucky/blessed to see the guy hop up
 from the grassy forest floor to take perch in a small tree. We had
amazing looks, this was a state-bird for Dr. Mosher and a much desired
and sought after Life-bird for me. Pretty soon after this he hopped
back into the grasses to dissappear for a bit onto the ground. But a
few more times he came up from the cover to stand on some low grapevine
and then a low brushy tree again about an hour later. He seemed to
prefer that quadrant of the lot, I saw him twice from the inner trail
that goes through the woodlot and thrice from the road that goes along
the southern border. He called a couple more times but not nearly as
long as the first time, had Dr. Mosher and I not been the students of
song that we were, we'd have probably never seen the bird at all. I was
needlessly to say, quite happy.
        Another good bird we had in this lot was a Kentucky Warbler
female. Earlier on the Magee Boardwalk we saw a Mourning Warbler so I
guess you could saw we got the eastern Oporonis hatrick! I'll say
something else, This woodlot was stocked full of Blackpoll Warblers
both males and females, and they were singing away all the time we were
there. I've seen a lot of Blackpolls this spring as well as an unusual
amount of Canada Warblers (hard to say but we saw maybe 12 Canada's
today). This little woodlot was way more active than the boardwalk was.

Ottawa:

Connecticut Warbler - 1 male singing and then seen!
Kentucky Warbler - 1 female
Canada Warbler - 4 apprx.
Wilson's Warbler - 2
Blackpolls       - 6 maybe more
Blackburnian   - 8+ (completely lacking from the boardwalk)
Baybreasted    - males and females 10+
Cape-may      - 6+
Tennessee     - 2    (almost lacking from the boardwalk)
Palm            - 2
Black-and-white - 6
Yellow-rumped  - 10+ (a surprising amount of these in here)
Yellow -   4+
Common Yellowthroat  - 4
N. Parula  - 1
Ovenbird -  2
Black-throated Green - 4+
Black-throated Blue   - 4+
American Redstart -   8+
Magnolia         - numerous
Chestnut-sided  - 6
Blue-headed Vireo  - 1
Warbling Vireo - several
Swainson's Thrushes
Wood Thrush   - heard in the bigger woods further south
Baltimore Orioles
American Woodcock
Great Crested Flycatcher - 2 (very vocal)
Empidonax sp.  - 2 (not a least or a yellow-bellied)
etc.

Magee Boardwalk + Crane Creek

Mourning Warbler - 1 (saw mine in the scruffy stuff at the western end
of the parking lot
Canada Warbler  - almost numerous
Wilson's Warbler - 6
N. Parula  - 2
Tenessee - 1 heard
N. Waterthrush - 1
Black-throated Blue - good numbers about 12
Yellow
Common Yellowthroats
Black-throated Greens
Cape-mays
Am. Redstarts
Black-and-whites
Blackpoll - 2
Yellow-rumped - 2
Bay-breasted - 5
Magnolias
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - 1
Hooded Merganser - seen come in and land in a tree (female)
Wood Ducks
Sora
Solitary Sandpiper
Screech Owl
E. Wood-peewee
Hermit Thrush - 1 seemed a bit late eh?
Veery
Glossy Ibis - seen on the loop trail near the visitor center at
Crane-creek
Snowy Egret - same place as the Glossy's (both seen pretty close in)

Metzger Marsh:  (no Ibis seen, no black terns, no Plovers except listed
sp)

Sanderling - 1 new for the year, in decent breeding plumage (on small
beach by the main dike)
White-rumped Sandpiper - 1
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 1
Least Sandpipers
Short-billed Dowitcher - 10+
Lesser Yellowlegs
Ruddy Turnstone - 5
Dunlins            - you try and count them.
Semipalm. Plover - plenty
Killdeer
Forster's Tern   - 4 Juveniles and at least 2 adults
Common Tern  - 2 adults
Caspian Tern   - 1 adult
Snowy Egrets   - 2
Bald Eagle     - 1 adult 1 juvenile
 etc.   ( we saw another Canada Warbler in the trees at the end)

          Sorry for the long post and roughly abbreviated names and
numbers, we just had a lot of stuff, I left a lot off as well.
Hopefully nothing too important.
           Yeehaw, and Good Birding!

  - Ben Warner, on sojourn from Sunbury, OH