Date:
Fri, 18 May 2007 17:55:12 -0400
       Wow. Well I almost didn't go but I'm glad I made it to the Hardin
County or Longbrake's Wetlands today. John Kuenzli had told me that the
adult female Red-necked Phalarope was seen around the sparsly vegetated
and muddy island that is slightly to left middle of the main wetland,
as you stand and look from the NE corner. It took a little time because
the bird tended to poke around on the north side of this island, but
finally it appeared. It was really cool looking, but I did have to zoom
in a bit w/ the scope to get good-ish looks. I digi-scoped some pics
and then it went back around to the north side. I walked up the
embankment that heads northward to see if I could watch it swim and
pick daintily at the water some more from this vantage point. As I got
to a good position I saw in front of me a couple birds, one obviously a
Phalarope, l got my bins on it and sure enough it was an adult female
WILSON'S PHALAROPE! Perhaps it is the same female that stayed all
summer last year. It was really close so I digi-scoped some really
beautiful (for me) pictures of the bird. It picked at a few things
(doesn't like to swim as much as the Red-neck) and then it flew
northward and landed out of sight in the wetland. I was able to see the
Red-necked Phal. from this place so I just watched it swim back and
forth for a while longer and I then headed out of there. A Two
Phalarope Day! Hardin Co. comes through for me again. Fun stuff.

Red-necked Phalarope - 1 female breeding plum. (another lifebird! what
is going on)
Wilson's Phalarope     - 1   female breeding plum.
Least Sandpiper        - 15+
Semi-palmated Sandpiper - 1
Dunlin                   - 10+
Lesser Yellowlegs    - 4+
Semi-palmated Plover - 1
Killdeers
BW Teals
P.B. Grebes
Mallards
CAGO
Coots
Bobolinks   - 8 or so
Grasshopper Sparrow - 2+
Savannah Sparrow     - 10+
Barn Swallow     - many  they are nesting in the culvert pipe and their
nest is amazing, its hanging from a threadlike piece of wire from the
roof of the pipe, hardly looks possible.

etc.

      Have a good day, and Good Birding.

           - Ben Warner