From:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
jen brumfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2007 15:58:08 +0000
Hi Folks -

A phenomenal morning in the field in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. We
ended up with an easy 17 species of warblers, highlights being Kentucky,
Cerulean, and Prothonotary, plus fantastic looks at Blue-winged Warbler on
territory.

First stop was The Ledges on Truxell Road. Spent some time with a singing
male Kentucky, then picked up a great male Hooded Warbler, plus a pair of
Scarlet Tanagers. Both Black-throated Green and Black-throated Blues were
singing, as was Wood Thrush and Red-eyed and Blue-headed Vireos. A single
Swainson's Thrush showed up, and Great Crested Flycatchers (several pairs in
numerous locations) were very vocal today.

Next we hit the Wetmore area, picking up a singing male PURPLE FINCH, a
single Blackpoll, Ovenbird, and a great Blue-winged.

On to Station Road at Brecksville where we enjoyed prolonged views of
Prothonotary and Cerulean, only hearing Yellow-throated Warbler (didn't have
time to track it down). A bunch of Red-headed Woodpeckers (marsh that's
south on the tracks) put on a show, and my dad picked out a Solitary
Sandpiper way out on the flats. Wilson's Warbler was picked up here as well,
as were all of the regulars...orioles, gnatcatchers, buntings, and waxwings,
etc.

Great morning to be in the field. With more time, we could've had a
spectacular local patch big day.

Good birding -
jen

Jen Brumfield
Local Patch Birding
Akron, Ohio
Birding America / www.birding-america.com
Illustrator/Naturalist, Cleveland Metroparks
Nikon Birding Optics ProStaff/ nikonusa.com
Editorial Advisor, A Bird's-Eye View / ABA
personal site: www.meadowhawkart.com

"Journeys, like artists, are born and not made. A thousand differing
circumstances contribute to them, few of them willed or determined by the
will." - Lawrence Durrell

"Blessed are the curious for they shall have adventure." - L. Drachman