From:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 May 2007 20:24:08 -0700
Hello Jenelle,

Welcome to the list.

Egyptian geese are native to the Nile valley and sub-Saharan
Africa, but they have been widely distributed around the world
as an ornamental species.  Your bird is almost certainly an
escape from some poultry fancier's pond.

Posting your sightings to the mailing list is the quickest and
most reliable way to get the word out about birds now. Thanks
for letting us know about your unusual visitor. If you care to
post any of your photos, there is a forum at www.ohiobirds.org
where you can do so.

Happy birding,
Paul

--- Jenelle Clark <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I'm new to the lsit but not to birding.  This afternoon as we
> came home
> from a family outing I noticed that there was an odd looking
> bird amongst
> the many canadian geese in our subdivision's pond.  I went
> back with
> camera in hand at took some photos of the bird so that I could
> try to
> identify it.  it turned out to be an Egyptian Goose!  (How the
> heck did he
> end up in our subdivision's pond?)  I have no idea if this is
> of any
> significance or not.  I have over 200 pics of the bird if
> anyone is
> curious.  I tried to call the ohio rare bird alert number but
> it has been
> disconected. (?)  Is there anyone else I should notify?
> Thanks in
> adavance for any help.

> Additional discussions can be found in our forums, at
> www.ohiobirds.org/forum/.

> Send questions or comments about the list to:

Paul Gardner
Columbus, OH