Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 13:18:54 EDT
This morning Linda accompanied me as I checked my Prothonotary Warbler Nest
Boxes north of Big Walnut Road at Mudhen Marsh. It turned out to be a
delightful  morning as we were immediately greeted by the male that is nesting on the
south  side of the bridge. We continued to the north territory and between
males and  females ran up 23 Prothonotary Warblers. At the rear near nest box
M-13 I pished  to try to call the male in closer for Linda. Suddenly we had 5
males surrounding  us at once and putting on the Ritz in the sunlight for us, it
was then I noticed  something in the corner of my eye and told Linda to turn
slowly. Perched about a  foot from her head at eye level was a female. She and
Linda stood eye to eye for  what seemed forever before the female Prothonotary
dropped to the ground and  collect nest material which was taken to the nest
box in front of us. We decided  to continue our monitoring and headed towards
the next set of nest boxes.

At this point we had to make a detour as we spotted a fawn that couldn't be
a week old curled up in the low foliage directly in our path. We gave it
appreciative glances and went around it in a wide circle so as to not disturb  it.

Other species observed during our jaunt included Yellow Warblers, Common
Yellowthroats, White-eyed and Yellow-throated Vireos, Great Crested Flycatchers,
Brown Thrashers, Green Heron and Baltimore Orioles at their nest. Then I got
the  surprise of the morning when I spotted a female Hooded Merganser with 6
ducklings trailing behind her. Why do you find things like this after you
finished the roll of film? Murphy Law prevails but I consider this the find of
the year for my Ohio Breeding Bird Atlas Blocks.

Charlie Bombaci
Hoover Nature Preserve
Delorme 58 C (2) & (3)