From:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kenn Kaufman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 23:13:19 -0400
In the area of Magee Marsh and other migrant traps on the lakeshore in n.w.
Ohio, there was a fair amount of turnover with the southwest winds last
Friday night, and decent numbers of birds were around on Saturday the 19th.
We actually had a more concentrated variety of migrants at Pipe Creek
Wildlife Area, Sandusky, than we did at Magee Marsh, but our visits to both
areas were brief so these impressions could be deceiving.  Many of the birds
apparently left Saturday night, and by today (Monday the 21st) the numbers
of birds at the boardwalk at Magee were relatively low.  There was still
good diversity, and multiples of some of the late-season migrants such as
Mourning, Canada, Blackpoll, Tennessee, and Wilson's Warblers, plus Willow,
Alder, and Least Flycatchers and a scattering of others.  I actually saw
five Ruby-crowned Kinglets, after failing to see any here on some days last
week.

Currently the winds in this area are light out of the east, but predictions
call for them to swing to east-southeast tomorrow (Tuesday 5/22) and then to
the south by Wednesday night, with very warm temperatures.  I would guess
that numbers of migrants at the lakeshore spots will pick up somewhat on
Wednesday and then substantially more on Thursday.  This is prime time for
Connecticut Warblers and there will undoubtedly be some at Magee and Ottawa
and East Harbor and Maumee Bay and Pipe Creek on Thursday, although whether
or not we actually get to see these skulkers is a separate question!  South
or southwest winds should continue through Thursday night so Friday may be
even better, and then the winds are supposed to swing to the north on
Friday, and I suspect that those conditions will keep a lot of migrants
around through at least the first part of the weekend.

Kenn Kaufman
Rocky Ridge, Ohio