Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 09:49:59 -0400
Hello!

Last evening, my wife and I went for a quick stroll on the front portion of the pet trail at Highbanks.  After making the first left turn and following the trail into the wooded portion (where crushed rock now has been laid over the mud!), we heard a Mourning Warbler clearly singing near the low point of that stretch of trail where it crosses over a small culvert.  As we got closer, the Mourning jumped up on a vine in clear view "chipping" at us, then flew into the understory.  About 20 minutes later,we came back to that same section of the trail looking for the Mourning where we were joined by Bruce Miller.  While we were all standing there looking/listening for the Mourning, we clearly heard a Connecticut Warbler sing about 3 or 4 times from an area about 50-60 feet east of the trail.  As it was almost dark, we were not able to see the Mourning or Connecticut, nor did we hear either one again.

This morning, I returned to that same area hoping to relocate one or both of these Warblers.  Other than a Hooded Warbler singing in full view on the left (west) side of the trail, I had no luck for about 45 minutes.  As I was about to leave to head to work, I heard the Mourning Warbler singing.  I turned around and was able to locate him on a branch within a bush in the same area of the trail where he sat for several minutes affording me great views.  I was not able to see or hear the Connecticut this morning.

Notable birds (other than the Hooded Warbler) seen and/or heard last evening (M) and this morning (T) included:

Veery-heard 4 or 5 singing (M), heard 2 singing (T).  I have never heard this many before in one area at Highbanks.
Swainson's Thrush-saw 1 and heard another singing (M), heard 1 (T)
Wood Thrush-saw 1 and heard 2 (M)
Summer Tanager-near Nature Center parking area (M and T)
Common Nighthawk-heard 1 (M)
Woodcock-saw 1 (M)
Cedar Waxwing-heard a few (M and T)
Pileated Woodpecker-great view of one down low by water fountain (T)
American Redstart-heard 1 (T)
Blackburnian Warbler-saw 1 female (T)
Blackpoll Warbler-saw 1 and heard another (T)
Acadian Flycatcher-heard 1 (T)
Indigo Bunting-heard 1 (M and T)
Yellow Warbler-heard 1 from across main road (M and T)
Baltimore Oriole-saw/heard 1 (T)
Great-Crested Flycatcher-close up views of 2 near Nature Center parking lot (T).  I have seen/heard several in the park this Spring.
Eastern Wood PeeWee-heard 1 (M and T)

Directions to Highbanks are at www.metroparks.net and park information is on the OOS web site.

Rob Lowry
Powell, Ohio